The Larnaca Medieval Castle is located at the end of the Phoenician seaside and is also referred to as the Larnaca Fortress. It is believed to have been originally built during the Middle Ages and took its present form during the Ottoman domination, although there is some doubt as to its origin. After the end of the Ottoman Period in Cyprus, the British turned it into a prison and it was used during the first years of their rule. The western part of the ground floor to the east was used to execute prisoners. The gallows, which should have been built in a special room, were used until 1948. Today, the castle houses the small Larnaca Medieval Museum in three rooms and exhibits objects from the Early Christian Period (4th - 7th century) and the Turkish Occupation (18th - 19th century).