Originally it was a Byzantine fort built to protect the harbor. It was rebuilt by the Lusignans in the 13th century, demolished by the Venetians in 1570 under Ottoman threat and rebuilt by the Ottomans. The main part of the castle consists of a large square tower with a closed courtyard in the middle. The ground floor consists of a central hall with small rooms on each of its two large sides, which were used as prisons during the Ottoman domination. There are 12 ceiling beams that fit a corresponding number of canons. The Ottomans removed the canons in 1878 when they handed over the administration of the island to the British, who used the castle as a salt store until 1935.