The Medieval Castle of Limassol is located in the heart of the old town, right above the old harbor. According to the tradition, in this castle Richard the Lionheart married Berengaria of Navarre and also crowned Queen of England in 1191. The exact date of construction of the castle is unknown, but according to Etienne de Lusignan, it was built in 1193 by the founder of the Lusignan dynasty, Guy de Luzignan. However, the first official mention of the castle dates back to 1228. Throughout the centuries, the castle was attacked by several invaders, but it suffered much damage in the earthquakes of 1567 and 1568. Finally, in 1590 the Ottomans rebuilt the castle in its existing form. The original castle was larger than the later one, incorporating some of the oldest buildings, such as the two elbows of the ground floor. Below the eastern hall there is a basement with cells, which was used as a prison until 1950. Today, the Castle houses the Medieval Museum of Cyprus.