The catacomb is located right next to the Church of Our Lady of Faneromeni, on the south side of the city of Larnaca, on the road to the salt lake. It is essentially a two-story carved tomb dating back to 1200 BC. Mycenaean merchants settled on the island and in the ancient city of Kition. The building of the Church of Our Lady of Faneromeni, according to local tradition, came about when a resident of the province found - after a dream that he saw - an icon of the Virgin Mary and a holy place near the ancient tomb. So a few years later it was decided to build a church dedicated to Our Lady.