Until 1821, it served as a monastery, which belonged to the Patriarchate of Jerusalem and housed an abbot and two deacons. The last abbot of the monastery was Monk Sophronios, one of the Ethnic Martyrs of July 1821. Today only the temple of the monastery, which was rebuilt after its partial destruction by fire, is preserved. It is a simple stone-built church with two entrances. The interior consists of an elaborate wooden iconostasis, with three gates to cover both the old and the younger. The chapel of the chapel is a simple building, which is not integrated into the church but is in its courtyard.